The Decatur Police Department accepts internship requests from Colleges and/or universities from throughout the State of Illinois. Internships with the Department require a letter of request from the College or University, along with a completed internship application. The Department conducts background investigations on all police internship applicants and interviews those applicants. The applicants must pass the background investigation and the interview, prior to being considered for selection into the internship program.
A student seeking an internship with the Decatur Police Department shall:
- Be a minimum age of 18 years with internship hours used as college credit
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no offenses which would disqualify them from being a police officer in Illinois
- Have at a minimum, a “C” average in cumulative grade points
- Have at least 45 semester hours if enrolled in a Junior College, or have completed his/her Sophomore year if enrolled in a four year college/university
- Have a letter of recommendation from his/her class instructor or counselor
If interested in the internship program, please contact Officer George Kestner by phone at 217-424-2743, or by email.